Tuesday, September 5, 2017

Mini Hexagon Flowers

Officially I am going to blame my unproductive and grumpy August on the heat, although there were a handful of days where it was cool enough to cook food indoors.  September has been better.

Anyway, in July we went to Norway for two weeks. We had anticipated two weeks of rain and fog, so I packed some hand-stitching and of course hexagons are the perfect travel project. 

We got ten days of sun. I am not complaining.  I took over six thousand photos.

Plastic tray from the chicken vendor at the local market makes a great organizer for 1/2" hexies.



Finally there was a foggy day so I could sew on the ship.

I got about 12 of 23 flowers sewn while away.  Back at home, I finished up the top while binging things I'd downloaded from Norwegian Netflix. Protip: when downloading abroad verify that movies are *entirely* in a language you understand; I ended up with characters speaking in Polish with Norwegian subtitles for ten minutes at a time and I'm pretty sure I missed some major plot points.


With this piece I am "exploring green as a neutral" or maybe I'm just still angry that in 1998 I was told my (classic 1930s) clean white backgrounds in quilt blocks were "unsophisticated" and "boring" and now that the millennials think they invented quilting, clean white backgrounds are "stunning" and "breathtaking design".  I actually got the green fabric here in town last year; the copyright date on the selvedge is 2006 and I wouldn't be surprised to learn it had been on the shelf that long. I'm not really complaining because green was out of fashion for awhile and I *need* green. The yellow is leftover from a project I started in 1998 and haven't finished yet (with an unsophisticated white background, harrumph) and the pinks are from the late-90s through this year.

I may pad out the sides with more green hexagons so the piece is more square, if the shop downtown has any left. Right now I think I only have enough green for the binding.

No comments:

Post a Comment